North Athens Baptist Church originated in the minds of a small group of people as a result of a brush arbor revival meeting held in 1914 near the site of the present building. The first building is pictured here and most of the charter members. The first pastor, Rev J.A. Conner is in the first row, fifth from the left.
To many long-time Athens residents, the North Athens Baptist Church is simply known as “the rock church.” The old building, built in 1926, was constructed by the men of the church and community. Rocks from nearby fields were gathered and brought to the site and formed the exterior of the building. This picture was taken in the 1950’s.